Thank you so much for caring about this with me and signing our petition! Your support has made all the difference. We now have over 3,000 signatures and counting! Here’s a quick update:
1. It’s great to see new advocates from across the country, in addition to our home state of New Mexico because unethical financing for judges exists in the majority of the U.S. Your support is making a difference!
2. I just received a "Notice of Recusal" from the District Court Judge in my case, meaning she has decided not to preside over my family court matter any longer. I am grateful that another judge will resolve any pending issues, and I take this as progress even though our former judge did not provide a reason for her decision. My hope is that all judges who have not disclosed compromising campaign contributions will recuse themselves from such cases.
3. Many people have reached out from across New Mexico and the U.S. to share their own painful and traumatic experiences with our legal system. It's clearer than ever that our civil and criminal courts’ abuses of power impact everyone from parents in conflict and their children, to countless other victims of harms. Thank you for your courage! Local journalists have reached out and are considering how to bring this to a wider audience. I’ll keep you posted on any media coverage that arises, and if you’d like to share your own story, please get in touch.
4. Remember that preventing judges from receiving money from the lawyers who appear before them is only the first step down the road to meaningful change. This single issue is just the tip of the iceberg. We have an inherently biased judiciary system that will refuse to change without our attention. But your signatures and support are already making progress by educating so many!
5. I hope this website we will be an open forum to connect with others, share resources, and read about steps being taken to address judicial biases in our courts. Common Cause is a national non-profit with chapters in many states that advocate for equality and accountability of this kind. I look forward to working with their NM chapter to help illuminate these issues for our legislature.
To those of you who have chosen to donate money so that change.org can share this petition, thank you so much! Your time in reading, signing, and sharing this is making a HUGE difference! It's amazing to see our community band together to address fundamental biases in our courtrooms. To encourage others to sign, please share my tweet or my Facebook post, and connect with me there anytime!
Thank you again for your support!